For Peace of Mind When Your Pet Stays Behind

About the Pet Sitter


Cherished Puppy

When it became time to bring another pet into my life, I knew I wanted to save a life. I called the animal shelter in Carlsbad to ask if they had any female puppies. I was told a litter of 6 week old Australian Shepherd mixes were there and two were female. I decided on the name “Cherish” before heading to the shelter. I chose this name because it described how privileged I would feel to have her in my life. When I arrived at the shelter, there was only one Aussie pup left, a female. She was adorable. She looked like a white puppy that had mischievously gotten into some black paint. She had blue eyes and was very unique looking. She was a bit standoffish at first, but when I started to play with her she warmed up to me. I left the shelter without her to do some research on Australian Shepherds. That night I could hardly sleep. I knew that I wanted her so bad. I set my alarm hoping to be the first in line when the shelter opened in the morning. I was first in line and began to chat with the couple behind me while we waited for the shelter to open. As we talked further, we realized that we had chosen the same puppy. They were disappointed but they felt better when I said that I loved her already. I walked out of the shelter with her cuddled against me.

There was no way that I was going to win every battle with this feisty girl. I had to pick the ones that were most important for our co-existence but allowed her to be her rambunctious, spirited self. Routines were important and fun. We had our morning wake up cuddle time and our goodnight cuddle time. These were the rituals but there were plenty of lovins throughout the day. She loved to fetch and would do it for hours. She loved to play “find it”, “who’s gunna move first”, “I’m gunna get you” and tug-o-war. On the days when she woke me up too early or when I was busy and she wanted to play, I did my best to be patient with her and meet her needs. If at all possible, I stopped what I was doing and gave her the attention she wanted. I knew that she wouldn’t always be there to perk up her ears and wag her tail when I opened my eyes in the morning or bring me a toy that she wanted me to throw for her. I thought about the couple who wanted to adopt her and how close I came to not having her in my life.

Judy and Cherish

Cherish at age 14, July 2009

She was in very good health throughout most of her life. The average lifespan for a pooch her size is 10-12 years. At almost 15, she still enjoyed going bye byes in the car, getting out for a walk, playing and most of all getting and giving her lovins. I strongly believe that playing WITH her, not just watching her play, is what kept her puppy like, alert and agile for so long. I got down on the floor with her and played, ran around with her and chased her. On July 26, 2010, she passed away at home on her bed. I welcomed her into my life and heart knowing that I would eventually have to pay a very high price for her wonderful unconditional love, affection, companionship and loyalty. She was a blessing in my life. I don’t know what I miss more, the unbelievable feeling of being enveloped in her love or being her “Mommy” and saying to her every morning when I cuddled her awake and every night when I cuddled her before sleep: “Do you know how much your Mommy loves you? You are my “so good girl”, my “puppy girl”, my “baby girl”, my “angel girl” and you are “Mommy’s girl” and I love you so.” I knew that I would rescue another pooch when the time was right. In the interim, I volunteered at the county animal shelter in Carlsbad as a dog socializer and trainer.

Finding Treasure


A Very Good Boy

On April 1, 2014 I adopted an approximately 5 yr. old, male, Labrador Retriever/Australian Shepherd blend from the county shelter in Carlsbad.  I was ecstatic leaving the shelter until I realized I had 106 pounds of “I’m not getting in the car”. I tried every trick in the book, treats, getting in first, the ramp, the stairs; he wanted no part of it.  He would not even put his paws in the cargo area so that I could boost him.  I went back into the shelter to ask the adoption coordinator for help.  I said to the coordinator “Is this an April Fool’s joke?”  She cracked up. She tried every method she knew but he would not get into the car.  Out of options, she wrapped the leash around his muzzle for safety since he was indicating that he did not want to be lifted (he was just moving away, not growling or snapping) then together, we lifted him into the car.

He entered the shelter as a stray with no ID tags or microchip but it was clear that someone had loved him enough to train him and show him a lot of affection because he loves to be petted and cuddled. He already knew some commands: “sit”, “wait” and “forward”. He had been trained to walk well on leash and sit before being fed.  He has not disturbed anything in the house on purpose although his wagging tail has played havoc at times. He has been wonderful at the vet, groomer and meet/greets with other dogs and with every person we have encountered. He’s such a very good boy. I felt like I’d found hidden treasure so I named him “Treasure”.

Judy and Cherish


We have fallen into some of the same routines that worked so well with Cherish. Treasure knows he will be cuddled good morning and good night. He loves to play “find it” and to work on puzzles with hidden treats. There is no problem getting him into the car now. In fact, I have to be careful not to leave the car doors open or else he will jump in. He hasn’t shown much interest in toys or fetching and I kind of miss those activities but he just prefers to be petted and cuddled. He is so easy going and cooperative. I love my “beautiful boy” to pieces.

I’d be honored to take care of your Cherished Ones.